tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat to support other keystore types?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:53:35 GMT
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> > And, indeed, for tomcat+apache, we don't use JSSE (except to allow for url
> > rewriting ;).
>
> The need for this was reported as a bug on Tomcat 4 :-).  We fixed it by
> implementing a class similar to java.net.URL
> (org.apache.catalina.util.URL) for the express purpose of being able to
> create https URLs without the JSSE classes being available.  Feel free to
> use it (and the associated JUnit test case) in 3.3.

Actually that's a bigger problem, and doesn't seem to be resolved in
neither 3.3 or 4.0.

If a client webapp is creating a https URL, the URL class will try to load
the handler - but will not use the context class loader.

So unless JSSE is included in the system class loader - user code using
URL will fail.

Since fixing java.net.URL is unlikely, and people are using URLs ( soap,
etc ) - the best solution IMHO is to change the startup scripts and
include JSSE in CLASSPATH before starting tomcat.

This is obviously inconsistent with what we are doing for all other
libraries ( i.e. lib/, etc ).

Another aproach would be to set a URLHandlerFactory at tomcat startup (
into URL ) and use it to instantiate the URLHandlers using the thread
class loader.

Costin