tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat to support other keystore types?
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:14:47 GMT
On 7 Nov 2001, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> > > However, it seems like you've already decided
> > > against this approach in favor of using explicit compatibility
> > > layers.
> >
> > Somes patches + Votes may change decisions...

> I'm happy to provide patches for this approach. I just wanted to
> make sure that people weren't totally against it before I started.
> I take it you think it's worth trying?

+1 :-)

I wrote some of the code that plugs JSSE, and I can tell you nothing was
'decided' - it's just code that happens to solve the problem, and allow
JSSE to be used without creating dependencies and reasonably easy.

Adding a better abstraction or making it simpler would be great. At least
in tomcat 3.3 there is no API that will have to change ( the SocketFactory
is used as an implementation tool, in the Http module - tomcat core
doesn't depend on it ). It would be great if this could also make easier
to interface with the various SSL modules in apache.

My only wish - tomcat shouldn't depend on JSSE or any other library.

IMHO it would be better to decouple the SSL info from the socket
factory and socket abstraction - in apache+tomcat case all the information
will be retrieved from apache using RPC-like communication.

Costin