tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: J-T-C and Ajp12
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:04:06 GMT
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> We should also start using APR in the native part.

Yes, we should :-)

I want first to do a bit of cleanup and improve the current abstractions.
Jk is very 'object-oriented', and using interfaces is a very 'safe' way to
add APR smoothly, without affecting the stability of the code.

After ajp12 is removed we can also remove jk_sockbuf ( which is only used
by ajp12), and refactor jk_connect into jk_channel_socket ( that seems
very easy, ajp13/14 are using just send/receive and init/open/close
primitives ).

The motivation for removing ajp12 was the fact that jk_sockbuf and the way
ajp12 was doing communication was very different - ajp12 is close to a
'proxy', while ajp13+ are based on message send/receive ( and use a
different abstraction).

Next step can be jk_channel_aprsocket and start playing with non-tcp
channels. This will give us a stable mod_jk ( i.e. the same code that is
used today, only few function renamed and 'virtual'ized ), and we can
start using APR smoothly.

At least that's what I would like to see ( and do ). Of course - I'm open
to other alternatives, but at least cleaning up and abstracting the
channel is important and I think we should do it anyway.

The big challenge will be replacing the pools - and I would like to delay
this a bit ( and maybe have a transition period where we can use both ). (
the fact that APR allocation is synchronized worries me a bit from
performance point of view - I know C is not java :-))

Costin