tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Tomas Rokicki" <roki...@instantis.com>
Subject RE: Disable Refresh Function in IE
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:32:44 GMT
You can't really avoid refresh.

Consider that people can double-click on a submit button or
link, quite inadverdantly, and your server sees it as two
submissions but you only get the second response.

Other than the timing, there is very little to distinguish this
from hitting the refresh button.

If the server refuses to serve refresh requests, well, you've
just broken anyone with a slow finger on the mouse.

(And yes, some people still double-click links intentionally
because you double-click to launch on Windows and why should
the Web be any different?  True these people are typically
moms and pops, but everyone's got them, right?  Parents, that
is?)

-tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Balazuc [mailto:denis.balazuc@trader.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 11:28 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: Disable Refresh Function in IE

No, there's no way to disable any of the browser's buttons such as Refresh,
Back or Forward....

The only way to prevent a refresh is to maintain some flag when you serve
requests, but even this is hardly feasible.
I'd love to hear about a clean solution on that topic....We need to avoid
people from refreshing pages too....