tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina Container.java
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:01:38 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> [...]
> I would suggest looking back at all the backwards-incompatible API changes
> that were done as part of the 3.x refactoring process (3.0 --> 3.3).  They
> fall into three categories:
>
> * Discussed ahead of time (and/or proposed with lazy consensus).
>
> * Committed and then accepted (lazy consensus) or refined based on
>   feedback.
>
> * Just committed, even if they broke old code.
>
> All three happened, in significant percentages of cases, in 3.x (the
> reason that "org.apache.catalina.util" existed in the first place is
> because I got tired of Costin's changes breaking Catalina builds that
> depended on "org.apache.tomcat.util" in the early days :-).  But the more
> important point is that all three will *always* happen, unless we're
> willing to slow things way down.

 > [...]

I agree that it will, and it could happen... I just feel unconfortably
"left out" from the decisional/review process... I am active on the
HTTPD and APR lists (as many of the 3.3 guys are) and sorry, but I don't
see API changes going into CVS undiscussed and/or unannounced over
there... (learn from others)

I don't ask much... When you start writing the code send out an email
saying "hey folks, I'm adding this method to blbalbalbal", lazy
consensus, all ok, everyone's happy...

And if that didn't happen in the 3.x releases, well, I believe this is
the reason why we always felt the 3.x community as "non existent" till
recent times... (learn from our mistakes)

     Pier