tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From g...@stinky.com (Alex Chaffee)
Subject [FAQ] jGuru FAQ Update
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:22:52 GMT
jGuru maintains FAQs and Forums on Servlets, JSP, and Tomcat (as well as
many other Java topics).  Here is an automated update on recent postings to
Tomcat-related FAQs.  Please direct flames and feedback to alex@jguru.com .

 - Alex

need it? get it. tools, code and tutorials for open-standards based development.

Stay informed with dW's weekly email newsletter
http://www.jguru.com/misc/register_devworks.jsp?src=notify

Hi.  You asked to be notified weekly when certain jGuru.com items get new entries.

You can shut email notification off at the FAQ home
page(s) or:

  http://www.jguru.com/guru/notifyprefs.jsp

++ JavaServer Pages (JSP) FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JSP

Using Jasper and taglibs, how do I avoid the error "Code of a method longer than 65535 bytes"?

I am working with Tomcat 3.2.x. I made a taglibrary (that includes just one tag, for testing)
and implemented the tag in java (a simple one, it's just writing a text). I put that tag into
a JSP page and when I go to that page, the tag displays a text on the screen. Everything works
just fine, but if I have a greater number of tags inside the JSP (about 170), then I get an
error message. Tomcat makes the .java -file, compiles it to the .class file, and then just
before displaying the text, I get the following err.msg: "Code of a method longer than 65535
bytes..." Thanks for any help I get ! Bye, Nico
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=542414

++ Servlets FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Servlets

Is it a good idea to declare your connection object globally, open the connection in init
and close it on destroy? Or is it better to just open and close it all in a doGet or doPost
each time a thread request the servlet?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=538678

++ Tomcat FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Tomcat

Big fall of performance in integrating Apache with Tomcat
Following manual suggestions, I've integrated Tomcat 3.2 with Apache, using mod_jk, in order
have a more robust and fast product to manage the static html pages.
But, testing the new architecture with Jmeter, I've found out that the average time in accessing
both dynamic pages (managed by my JSP application) and
static pages had grown up to about 5 times (the comparison was made respectively  with Tomcat
and Apache, both
as stand alone servers). I'm very surprised with this result as it makes futile the highly
recommended integration of Apache and Tomcat.
I wonder if I'm making some mistake in configuration (as more probable) or if this result
is confirmed in 'literature'. In this latter case, which solution
do you suggest? Tomcat4.0 integration with Apache is more performant? Or I have to use Tomcat
also for the static
pages (I've seen that this doesn't affect that much the response times of static pages)?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=542455

Using Jasper and taglibs, how do I avoid the error "Code of a method longer than 65535 bytes"?

I am working with Tomcat 3.2.x. I made a taglibrary (that includes just one tag, for testing)
and implemented the tag in java (a simple one, it's just writing a text). I put that tag into
a JSP page and when I go to that page, the tag displays a text on the screen. Everything works
just fine, but if I have a greater number of tags inside the JSP (about 170), then I get an
error message. Tomcat makes the .java -file, compiles it to the .class file, and then just
before displaying the text, I get the following err.msg: "Code of a method longer than 65535
bytes..." Thanks for any help I get ! Bye, Nico
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=542414

Where to put ResourceBundle files so my webapp can find them?
I trying to run servlet which has code for internationalization .Where to put ResourceBundle
property files in tomcat.I have tomcat version 3.2
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=540457

What is the best apache connector for Tomcat 4.0 -- mod_jk or mod_webapp?
Hi,

I have both mod_jk (Ajp13 connector) and mod_webapp (webapp connector) and i would like to
know which one i should use.
Thanks
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=539250