tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: J-T-C and Ajp12
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:33:47 GMT
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 09:04:06AM -0800, cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> The big challenge will be replacing the pools - and I would like to delay
> this a bit ( and maybe have a transition period where we can use both ). (
> the fact that APR allocation is synchronized worries me a bit from
> performance point of view - I know C is not java :-))

Malloc has its own locks, and pools are just a layer on malloc. Just
like anything you should limit the number of allocation calls you make,
but it won't be worse than using malloc directly. The biggest gain that
pools give you are a way to "checkpoint" the memory at points where you
would usually do a whole bunch of calls to free(), since in pools they
become a constant operation.

-aaron