tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: How does Tomcat handle discarded-request
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:08:16 GMT

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Hu, Xuebing wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:03:29 -0500
> From: "Hu, Xuebing" <Xuebing.Hu@ca.com>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: How does Tomcat handle discarded-request
>
> Thanks, Bill for the response. Any detail? I am currently using TOMCAT 3.2.3.

In general, you cannot count on the server even knowing that the request
was cancelled.  The following scenarios are all possible:

* The entire request was read before the cancel happened, so no
  notification is possible until the response is written back out
  and receives an IOException.  (This is by far the most common case.)

* Tomcat was able to read the headers, but does not need to read
  the data.  In this case, it is the application (not Tomcat) that
  would receive an IOException when trying to process the input
  stream.  Therefore, it is up to your application to respond
  appropriately.

* Tomcat was unable to read the headers (because the cancel happened
  very quickly).  It will typically log an exception and throw the
  request away.

> David

Craig