tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <rmauch...@home.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina Container.java
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:15:36 GMT
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > > So either add in big letter "INCOMPATIBLE WITH 4.0" or roll back the
> > > incompatible changes.
> >
> > :) Or at least, post a message detailing what and why BEFORE committing.
>
> Well, Remy's commit seems ok - adding methods doesn't brake compatiblity.
>
> Removing methods ( or changing parameter types ) is a major problem, and
> any connector module will be hurt.
>
> The important things is to decide ( ASAP ) if 4.1 is going to be backward
> compatible with 4.0 or not.

If yes means 100%, then the answer will probably be no. The page documenting
the changes will also explain how to fix the affected components.

> Keeping it backward compatible will be great for people who develop
> modules and code based on 4.0 ( both jk and webapp are examples ). The
> downside is that the API is likely to become even more complex ( since
> more methods are beeing added ), and improvements will be limted.
>
> I'm +0 with any choice - as long as a vote takes place.
>
> I'm very unhappy seeing major project changes going on without vote or
> discussion

Come on, Costin, adding a method which should have been there from day 1 is
not a major project change ;-)

> - I assumed that if nobody comments or vote on a proposal that
> means 'no interest' - that's why 3 +1 votes are supposed to be needed.
> ( that's unrelated - I sent a -1 on management API beeing commited
> without discussion and vote - but nobody seemed to care, and that was
interpreted
> as ok to move ahead)

I think it was addressed: the components are optional, and the JMX download
and redistribution is now possible without selling your soul to Sun.

Remy