tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <rmauch...@home.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina Container.java
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:22:09 GMT
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > remm@apache.org wrote:
> >
> > > API CHANGE: add new findContainerListeners method. This method will
only
> > > need to be implemented in ContainerBase.
> >
> > Not to be a pain in the butt... But I can't recall the discussion of all
> >   API changes I'm seeing... API changes are not "that" good when not
> > discussed (see what happened between 4.0 and 4.1 in the connectors
world)...

> Speaking of that, I still have problems with the SocketFactory and can't
> build the same code on 4.0 and 4.1.
>
> I have no problem if 4.1 is going to be incompatible at API level with 4.0
> - in fact I would be very happy to see the API cleaned up and easier to
> use - but I would prefer if this is decided by vote and ... we know about
> it :-)
>
> Right now the APIs are very close - and people may be misleaded into
> thinking 4.1 is backward compatible with 4.0, which is not ( at least the
> ajp connector didn't built few days ago with 4.1 ).
>
> So either add in big letter "INCOMPATIBLE WITH 4.0" or roll back the
> incompatible changes.

How about listing the API differences somewhere ?
I really don't expect there will be many, and most of them should be methods
addition (which still breaks the build because we're using interfaces, but
is only a small annotance).
I'll add a new XML document on this in the documentation.

The changes to put accessors to the listeners are extremely straightforward.
It's strange that they weren't there before, actually. Some things weren't
doable because of this, so I decided to fix that mistake.

Remy