tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat to support other keystore types?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:47:43 GMT
It would work with PureTSL.  It is nothing more than having a Handler
defined for the https protocol.  The problem was that without a Handler, you
get a MalformedURLException when trying to construct a java.net.URL starting
with https://
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Rescorla" <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 8:31 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat to support other keystore types?

> "Bill Barker" <wbarker@wilshire.com> writes:
> > I view Costin's points as being really orthoginal to this problem.  His
case
> > is that it should be possible to make a https connection without
installing
> > JSSE in lib/ext.  This problem is that it is possible (via
Apache+Tomcat) to
> > have an SSL server, without otherwise having any need to have JSSE
anywhere
> > on the machine.
> I think this would be a good thing. I don't see any reason why we
> couldn't arrange to provide this functionality via PureTLS as well.
>
> -Ekr
>
> --
> [Eric Rescorla                                   ekr@rtfm.com]
>                 http://www.rtfm.com/
>
> --
> For additional commands, e-mail:

*----*

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above
as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is
PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment.
If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal
identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted)
e-mail.