tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/native/isapi isapi.dsp
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 17:52:07 GMT
The main reason is that nmake uses an obscure and non-standard syntax.
Also, by default, you have to run vcvars32.bat in order to build from the
command line, and no one ever remembers the name (I had to go look it up).
But the main reason is that the MSVC GUI can't do anything with a makefile.
You need the DSP to use the GUI to tweak settings (e.g. link to C-runtime
statically or dynamically).

At least with MSVC6.x (and I can't imagine there are many people still using
older versions) you don't actually need the DSW.  MSVC can generate that
from the DSP for single projects.
----- Original Message -----
From: <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 10:34 PM
Subject: RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/native/isapi isapi.dsp

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Schreibman, David wrote:
>
> > Costin,
> >
> > Did you consider exporting the equivalent Makefile from the studio?
>
> Hard to do on my Linux :-)
>
> Is the generated makefile 'equivalent' with the DSP/DSW ? Is it
> usable on other machines or does it have hardcoded paths ?
>
> ( I'm confused - so many projects are using dsp/dsw instead of makefiles -
> it  should be a reason for doing that )
>
> Costin
>
> > >   I'm not sure what's the relation between .dsp files and
> > > .dsw, but it would be much easier if
> > >   we would use (n)makefiles and remove the binary .dsw.
>

> --
> For additional commands, e-mail:

*----*

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above
as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is
PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment.
If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal
identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted)
e-mail.