tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat to support other keystore types?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:10:09 GMT
Thanks for the suggestion (and the Class).  This has been itching me for
some time.  I've just added it to the 3.3 branch, and changed the
HttpServletResponseFacade to use it.

I view Costin's points as being really orthoginal to this problem.  His case
is that it should be possible to make a https connection without installing
JSSE in lib/ext.  This problem is that it is possible (via Apache+Tomcat) to
have an SSL server, without otherwise having any need to have JSSE anywhere
on the machine.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>; "Bill Barker"
<william.barker@wilshire.com>
Cc: <jfrederic.clere@fujitsu-siemens.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat to support other keystore types?

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Bill Barker wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:40:22 -0800
> > From: Bill Barker <wbarker@wilshire.com>
> > To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
> >      jfrederic.clere@fujitsu-siemens.com
> > Subject: Re: Tomcat to support other keystore types?
> >
> > And, indeed, for tomcat+apache, we don't use JSSE (except to allow for
url
> > rewriting ;).
>
> The need for this was reported as a bug on Tomcat 4 :-).  We fixed it by
> implementing a class similar to java.net.URL
> (org.apache.catalina.util.URL) for the express purpose of being able to
> create https URLs without the JSSE classes being available.  Feel free to
> use it (and the associated JUnit test case) in 3.3.
>
> Craig

*----*

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above
as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is
PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment.
If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal
identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted)
e-mail.