tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Catalina on Avalon
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:55:17 GMT
On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Paul Hammant wrote:

> OK, I've been asked to clarify a few things from various emails.
>
> 1) Separation of interface / impl ----> why?

I don't think you have to answer this ( at least not on tomcat-dev ) :-)

> 5) Resitance.
>
>   Re : Remy's email on "Pauls Dream", and how he does not subscribe *at*
> *all* to the Avalon idea.

> Is this a common belief amongst committers to Apache?  I might remind
> you that Avalon is a candidate for Sun's JSR 111 Community API.  It

I love Avalon's concept and idea, but I'm not at all happy with the
implementation. It is too heavy and 'framework-ish', and the fact that it
is a JSR or not doesn't change this. The 'component loading' service/idea
is just great, but configuration, logging, etc are not that good idea.

But of course, I agree that tomcat should be usable with Avalon - after
all that's one of our goals, to be 'embedable' and 'modular'.

Costin