tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Docs on Tyrex Pools
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:19:23 GMT
	I can't address the documentation, but as for your JDBC problem...

	It seems like you have two choices.  You can write a little
wrapper to make a "normal" JDBC connection look like an "XA" JDBC
Connection, but that is perhaps not the greatest solution.  Because they
still won't be truly 2-phase commit connections - they would always agree
to commit, even if it wasn't really possible, so if there was some sort of
problem you'd end up with a heuristic exception any time the wrappered
connection wasn't first.  Of course, if you're always using exactly one
connection per transaction, you probably don't care.  If you're not using
J2EE transactions around your DB conections, then you *really* don't want
this.
	The other choice is to just use a pooling system that handles
normal JDBC connections.
	I worked on both of these for JBoss.  If you want help, code, or a
library, let me know.  There's also another library available called
PoolMan that pools JDBC connections, though I'm not that familiar with it.

Aaron