tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Grant <>
Subject RE: welcome files being forwarded to rather than redirected to?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2001 12:46:53 GMT
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Colin Wilson-Salt wrote:
> > Surely the way to fix this is that a request for
> > generates a redirect to, and a request to
> > will serve the default content using forward() or
> > some equivalent.
> Yep, reckon so. I've no problem with blah.../dirname generating a
> redirect to blah.../dirname/ - it's the forwarding I'm interested in.

Right, this seems to be a straightforward fix (after a fashion)...
however: I seem to recall there being early problems with jsps that
wanted to know if the original request was for

...does anyone have details? As an example: sticking the snoop.jsp as a
welcome-file index.jsp gives the following output:

Request URI: /....../d3/index.jsp
Request Protocol: HTTP/1.0
Servlet path: /d3/index.jsp
Path info: null
Path translated: null
Query string: null

when I'd suspect the request URI ought to be /....../d3/ ...comments?

Otherwise I'll slap a configurable parameter on the DefaultServlet that
lets you choose the behaviour and post a patch.

jan grant, ILRT, University of Bristol.
Tel +44(0)117 9287088 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822
Donate a signature:

View raw message