tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Grant <Jan.Gr...@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject Re: welcome files being forwarded to rather than redirected to?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2001 09:06:13 GMT
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> It's not at all clear that the "Persistent URI" article you referenced has
> anything to do with whether a redirect is used for a welcome file or not

actually, I was more concerned with exposing implementation mechanisms
in URIs; and future-proofing so that when index.jsp becomes
index.csharpsp in the future (only kidding...) I'm not left with an
unmanageable mess.

> Originally (back in the pre-3.2-final days), Tomcat did the equivalent of
> a RequestDispatcher.forward() to display welcome pages.  This caused
> massive problems for people who didn't understand the difference between:
>
>   http://foo.bar/webapp
>
> and
>
>   http://foo.bar/webapp/
>
> In the former case, any relative urls on the "real" welcome page are
> broken.  This caused bug reports about welcome files not working (never
> mind that using a <base> element in your welcome page would have fixed
> it), which led to the current behavior.

Assuming I want this behaviour and I know the difference, is there a
preferred mechanism to replace this line in DefaultServlet.java?

                redirectPath = appendParameters(request, redirectPath);
--              response.sendRedirect(redirectPath);
                return;

Cheers,
jan

Talk is cheap: free, as in beer. As in Real Ale, not that Budweiser rubbish.