tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rickard Öberg <rick...@xpedio.com>
Subject Tomcat4, taglibs, and pageContext.include
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:13:33 GMT
Hi!

Due to some recent subtle changes in Tomcat (Jasper and servlet API to
be precise) it is no longer possible to implement jsp:include tags. This
now results in the infamous "May not flush in custom tags" (or similar)
error message.

Two questions:
* Why was this change made? (It is likely to break any include-tag ever
written)
* How is one supposed to write such tags now? I found some code in
Tomcat4 suggesting one should use RequestDispatcher.include along with a
response wrapper that provides the JspWriter on getWriter, but it seems
hackish (and won't work well with 2.2 servlet engines).

Any explanations would be appreciated. I believe it was Craig who
committed these changes.

/Rickard