tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject JAAS/Classloaders/Tomcat4
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:24:56 GMT
Hi,

I've been a bit confused after reading the classloader docs for Tomcat
4, the %CATALINA_HOME/lib %CATALINA_HOME/classes are accessed via the
shared classloader but the startup script sets certain jars from
%CATALINA_HOME/lib on the system classpath.

JAAS 1.0 requires login config and login modules to be on the system
classpath so to that end I have put jaas.jar to %CATALINA_HOME/lib and
added it to the classpath used in catalina.(sh|bat).

There is no concept in Tomcat 4.0 of a system classes directory where
you can just dump the odd class as the classes directory is used by the
shared classloader.

I gather the shared classpath will be renamed 'shared/lib + classes' in
4.1 but wouldn't it be useful if the catalina startup script set the
classpath to all the jars in %CATALINA_HOME/lib and
%CATALINA_HOME/classes.  At least this way no modifications need to be
done to the startup scripts and JAAS login modules can just be dropped
into the system classes directory as needed.

Rgds
--
Antony Bowesman
Teamware Group