tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Catalina on Avalon
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:06:09 GMT
David & Craig,

Yes I agree, given explanations, that we can't change before a major
release.  I like the migration solution expecially as it's to do with
interfaces and multiple inheritance (of sorts) works there.  I am not
sure if the classloader might still barf if it can't resolve all hard
wired references though.

We could just seperate into seperate jars at this moment in time, but I
suspect that "package sealing" might be an issue.  I'm not experienced
in that..

As it happens I've duplicated the pertinent interfaces to a non-Catalina
place and used refelction (at great pain) to invoke the actual APIs :-(
 It works, but exception tracking sucks as reflection is in the way.

Regards,

- Paul H

>Don't -1 it.  For each interface in the wrong spot,
>duplicate the interface in the right spot.  Have
>existing implementations of old interfaces also
>implement the new interfaces.  Deprecate the old
>interfaces, advertising their removal in 4.5, or
>some future ( but definite ) date.  This is best-
>practice, if the JDK has anything to say about
>evolving an interface while maintaining  backwards
>compatibility.
>
>That is a technical solution that takes away the
>'backward compatability' concern.
>
>Now, there are other concerns, like:
>
>  - the effort concern
>  - the maintenance concern
>
>that might come into play, but possibly creative
>approaches to these may be found too.
>
>However, I would not like to see:
>
>  - the classloader concern
>
>be sidelined.  Tomcat 4.0 is a flagship of
>server-side Java, and it, of all products, needs
>to get its stuff right.  Tomcat 3.x has, quite
>frankly, an abysmal history with class-loading-related
>issues.
>
>Don't think of it in terms of making Avalon happy ...
>think of it in terms of Avalon having discovered an
>issue generic to all persons who wish to embed
>Catalina.
>
>Don't think of it as a pain in the neck either ...
>this issue is obviously one that needs to be thought
>of 'next time', and as such is deserving of analysis,
>and a quick entry in the 'new project FAQ'.
>
>cheers,
>David.
>

>On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Paul Hammant wrote:
>>
>>>If those 39 interfaces and classes were moved to a different
>>>package (say org.apache.catalina.api), then a split into two jars would
>>>be possible and our dreams could come true.
>>>
>>>Have I convinced of need?
>>>
>>I can see why you might wish to have the "39 interfaces and support
>>classes" packaged in a separate JAR file.  I haven't yet been convinced
>>why they should be moved to a different package, which would break 100% of
>>the applications that rely on the current package names.
>>
>>>Is 4.0.1 beta too touchy a distribution to instigate package migrations
>>>on (however trivial) ?
>>>
>>Definitely.  In fact, I would -1 a package name change on *any* release in
>>the 4.0.x family -- backwards-incompatible changes that are this
>>substantial are bad news.
>>

>----
>David Bullock -  dbullock@lisasoft.com   +61 4 0290 1228
>http://www.lisasoft.com/ (Architect) http://www.auug.org.au/ (President, SA)
>http://www.ajug.org.au/sajug/sa.html (Activist) Sun Cert'd Programmer for Java 2
>
>"The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal, a realistic attack plan to achieve
that goal, and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."