tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat4, taglibs, and pageContext.include
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:26:06 GMT

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Rickard Öberg wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:16:15 +0200
> From: Rickard Öberg <rickard@xpedio.com>
> Subject: Re: Tomcat4, taglibs, and pageContext.include
>
> Rickard Öberg wrote:
>
> > Due to some recent subtle changes in Tomcat (Jasper and servlet API to
> > be precise) it is no longer possible to implement jsp:include tags.
>

> (clarification).. using pageContext.include.
>
> /Rickard

The reason for this change is a statement in the Javadocs for
PageContext.include() that Tomcat 4 was not previously enforcing:

    The current JspWriter "out" for this JSP is flushed as a
    side effect of this call, prior to processing the include.

Ideally, that statement would have been removed from the Javadocs for JSP
1.2, but it wasn't ... and now we are stuck enforcing it.  If you look at
the code that Jasper generates for <jsp:include>, you will see that it
indeed no longer uses the PageContext.include() method in its
implementation.

Craig