tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bip Thelin" <Bip.The...@razorfish.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL Tomcat 4.x] Cluster
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:16:51 GMT

It's an interesting idea, I do believe we would need the connectors
and/or a module for TC that does URL/Session rewriting to hide the
different machines in the cluster. Is this already implemented in JK
or have I dreamt that?

Anyway, in your example above you're mentioning 1*httpd and n*TC, if
we have 1 Apache being the "session hub" we would have a singlepoint
of failure which would be as bad as not using clustering at all. I guess
you mean that one shoule also run n*httpd also and cluster the sessions
in between them, with multicast or other technology of choice.

Why I started to go down the multicast-road was because I was looking
at how Weblogic had solved the issue, my first plan was not to make it
as a complete package as Weblogics but somewhere in that direction
anyway.

I also had some plans on building support for deploying a webapp that
then would get replicated and deployed to every TC in the cluster.

	Bip Thelin