tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bip Thelin" <Bip.The...@razorfish.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL Tomcat 4.x] Cluster
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:22:28 GMT
Pasted below is an email I posted a few weeks ago where I
responded to a similar question. Hope this might help.

	Bip Thelin

There aren't any documents that describe how to run Tomcat in
cluster mode. I should advise you that the cluster package needs
some improvements before it can be useful in a production environment.

However.

Add this under your <Host> in server.xml:

<Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.StandardCluster"
    multicastSocket="6789"
    multicastAddress="228.5.6.7"
    checkInterval="5"
    clusterName="myCluster"
    debug="99"/>

There's experimental support for replicating sessions in the
cluster, edit/uncomment your <Manager> and change the className
to: org.apache.catalina.session.DistributedManager.

It currently only replicates *new* sessions. It doesn't replicate
any changes made to the objects associated with your session.

I had some problems getting multicasting to work under Linux and
according to Sun it was a Linux kernel issue rather than a JDK issue.
I have now switched to openBSD and hopefully I'll be able to continue
the work and commit some code for the clustering package again.

There's also an issue with the cookies if you want the cluster to
be able to "continue" a replicated session that origined on a other
machine in the cluster. I think that mod_jk might solve this with
some sort of rewrite if you run it in loadbalancing mode? Maybe
Henri Gomez or someone could comment on this?

If you want to try it out and maybe submit some code/patches that
would be gladly appreciated.

	Bip Thelin