tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Andreas Junghans" <Andreas.Jungh...@fh-karlsruhe.de>
Subject Re: [Q+Patch] Error page behaviour in TC 3.x and 4.0.1
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:26:29 GMT
Hi there,

Craig wrote:

> Using an include() instead would have other negative consequences -- for
> example, you would not be able to set HTTP headers in the error page, due
> to the normal restrictions on includes.  These are guaranteed to come as a
> nasty surprise to users who don't know what underlying mechanism is being
> used.

Agreed, I didn't see that. The other disadvantages you mentioned are
arguable, but this one convinced me. Thanks for this point.

Costin wrote:

> For JSPs - that's another issue, you could use taglibs ( but that has a
> performance impact ) or include the JSPs from a servlet ( another hit,
> probably smaller ).

I think including from a servlet is a good idea in our case. This should
also work reliably in arbitrary containers. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards

Dipl.-Inform.(FH) Andreas Junghans
Steinbeis-Transferzentrum Industrielle Datenverarbeitung und Automation
Moltkestrasse 30 - 76133 Karlsruhe
Fon.:  +49-721-925-1485  ---  Fax:  +49-721-925-1488
email: Andreas.Junghans@FH-Karlsruhe.de (privat: Bammus@aol.com)