tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Réf. : Re: tomcat hangging problem
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:07:59 GMT
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 joseph.vallot@bnpparibas.com wrote:

> > I assume this is happening only on SMP machines ( i.e. with multiple
> > CPUs).
>
> that is what we suspect here :-(
> unfortunately, we only run on SMP AIX machines :-((
> dev is done on NT boxes (or whatever, actually), but production machines
> are rs6000 boxes (2 to 8 processors).

Nice :-)

> > My bet is that this is related with the VM/libraries. It can of course be
> > a bug in tomcat, like a deadlock or something - but then it would fail
> > on all SMP machines.
>
> I think like this.  A strange thing I noticed yesterday: on "hangging
> machines", running with "-Xms100m -Xmx200m" seems to hide problem (I
> guess hang would occur later, but a less-than-10-minutes process ran all
> night long (and was running till somebody (!$*ù#@) reboot)).

Aha. I would bet something is wrong in the GC or memory allocator.

Are you running the _latest_ version of the VM ? Can you file a bug
on this ?

Does it happen with any servlet ( say HelloWorld ) or only with your
application ? Can you create a simple servlet ( that eventually does
some allocation - in case the bug is in the GC ), and see if it
can reproduce the problem ?

Costin