tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Re: tomcat hangging problem
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:10:12 GMT
Hi Joseph,

I assume this is happening only on SMP machines ( i.e. with multiple

My bet is that this is related with the VM/libraries. It can of course be
a bug in tomcat, like a deadlock or something - but then it would fail
on all SMP machines.

Could you check with the 'latest' 1.3.0 and make sure you have all the
patches installed  (, etc ). Also, check the version of the
libraries between the AIX machines that work and those that don't.

If you get a core dump - again, this is a clear sign something is wrong
with the VM/libraries. A java program shouldn't be able to coredump
regardless of the code inside ( unless JNI is used ), and there's nothing
we can do in tomcat ( even if we find a workaround, some user code can
crash the server as well ).

Is anyone else running SMP machines ? I remember long time ago a problem
on linux/smp, but was solved by using a newer VM.

View raw message