tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From joseph.val...@bnpparibas.com
Subject Re: tomcat hangging problem
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:28:13 GMT

cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > My bet is that this is related with the VM/libraries. It can of course be
> > > a bug in tomcat, like a deadlock or something - but then it would fail
> > > on all SMP machines.
> >
> > I think like this.  A strange thing I noticed yesterday: on "hangging
> > machines", running with "-Xms100m -Xmx200m" seems to hide problem (I
> > guess hang would occur later, but a less-than-10-minutes process ran all
> > night long (and was running till somebody (!$*รน#@) reboot)).
>
> Aha. I would bet something is wrong in the GC or memory allocator.
>
> Are you running the _latest_ version of the VM ? Can you file a bug
> on this ?

I do think so (but if you tried someday to find something in IBM
website, you know how it is hard to find something!):
./java -fullversion
java full version "J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build ca130-20010615"

where do you expect me to file that bug? ibm? wow!
I did open a call, but via our internal helpdesk, and then via somebody
@ibm.com who does not know anything about java and aix :-( well, it
seems problem has reached more concerned persons, but I really don't
know who :}

> Does it happen with any servlet ( say HelloWorld ) or only with your
> application ? Can you create a simple servlet ( that eventually does
> some allocation - in case the bug is in the GC ), and see if it
> can reproduce the problem ?

well, I did write a sample that shows problem (I can tell more or send
code), but after a couple of hours running: I could make it alloc much
more when looping...  hope this could make it hang faster.

--
Joseph