tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From joseph.val...@bnpparibas.com
Subject tomcat hangging problem
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:01:29 GMT
Hello...

Here is the description of current problem I try to solve...
I have already mailed to tomcat-user, but since nobody has a beginning
of an answer, and since we can't go on production launch anymore, I try
here.

environment:
- AIX 4.3.3 SMP,
- JRE 1.2.2 (several builds), then 1.3.0
- tomcat 3.2.1, 3.2.3 then 3.3.b2 (sorry, did not try 3.3.rc1 yet!)

problem is: tomcat "hangs" after some time (may be 3 minutes or some
hours). I mean tomcat is running ("ps" shows it), but no answer is
received to requests when tomcat hangs (telnetting it with a http get
request results in no response). Even a kill -3 does nothing.

Strangely, problem occurs only on _some_ of AIX 4.3.3 machines where I run
tomcat.
Some machines, with same jre/tomcat/code, run with no problem (well,
maybe problem would occur after a much longer time, I don't really know).
And I did not met that on winNT4 (with a Sun jdk: I got to try with
an ibm jvm).
Note that I got a javacore twice, if somebody can interpret it...

I wrote a simple servlet which shows tomcat hangging, if that can help:
a singleton deals with doGet: first time it launches 'n' threads, each of
them will http-request same singleton every 't' seconds and print result to stdout.
other request to singleton only prints text/plain string to response's writer.

Thanks
--
Joseph Vallot