tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Abbott <Mark.Abb...@openwave.com>
Subject Re: %=x% expression syntax bug in XML jsp?
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:43:51 GMT
Hi Craig -

I'm curious whether the expert group has discussed what
might be done in the future about this unfortunate
aspect of JSP. In what I would think would be a
really common case in the future, where one wants to
design an app using clean, readable, and purely XML
templates (perhaps XHTML for example), but editing by
hand rather than with some JSP savvy tool, the choices
are:

> * Create a custom tag <foo:text> which just dumps out the
>   corresponding <text> tag

Wrapping all the tags in every markup of interest is impractical

> * Write the XML syntax in the way that the JSP compiler expects:
>    <jsp:text><![CDATA[<text y="10" x="]]>
>    <jsp:expression>xpos</jsp:expression>
>    <jsp:text><![CDATA[">test</test></jsp:text>

This is an unreadable mess, especially considering scaling
up to a substantial size of template

> * Use the JSP syntax, where <%= %> expressions *are* recognized
>   everywhere.

This is not XML any more

            Cheers - Mark