tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From g...@stinky.com (Alex Chaffee)
Subject [FAQ] jGuru FAQ Update
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:22:28 GMT
jGuru maintains FAQs and Forums on Servlets, JSP, and Tomcat (as well as
many other Java topics).  Here is an automated update on recent postings to
Tomcat-related FAQs.  Please direct flames and feedback to alex@jguru.com .

 - Alex

need it? get it. tools, code and tutorials for open-standards based development.

Stay informed with dW's weekly email newsletter
http://www.jguru.com/misc/register_devworks.jsp?src=notify

Hi.  You asked to be notified weekly when certain jGuru.com items get new entries.

You can shut email notification off at the FAQ home
page(s) or:

  http://www.jguru.com/guru/notifyprefs.jsp

++ JavaServer Pages (JSP) FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JSP

How can I send a POST request from a Servlet or JSP?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=504839

Depending on circumstance, there are 2 different params that can be passed with my jsp:include.
Is there any way that I could use a conditional of some sort to determine which param is passed?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=503998

Where can I find some example source code for transfering arbitrary files to the client browser
using JSP?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502939

What is the difference between using getSession(true)
and getSession(false) methods?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502938

Can I print the dynamic content output to my browser from a JSP page without showing the address
URL?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502936

>From a JSP page or servlet, how may I know the root context of the current web application
? I need to know this to specify the correct href even if the context may change when my app
is deployed in the production environment.
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502935

What calls can I make on the implicit exception object?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502931

Is is possible to conditionally output some text in a JSP custom tag body? I'd like to be
able to, on the first loop of the JSP custom tag body, add a line of text to the top of the
body, than for each successive loop of the JSP custom tag body, output the text without the
added line.
For example:
<b>
&lt;info:x query="Doe"&gt;<br>
&lt;%= name %&gt;<br>
&lt;%= address %&gt;<br>
&lt;p&gt;<br>
&lt;/info:x&gt;<br>
</b>
In the above example, the first time the body is outputed, I would add the string "items returned:
[count]" and the name and address of the first item returned. Than for each additional time
the body is printed, only the name and address are outputed.
For example, say the query returned 2 results...
<b>
items returned: 2<br>
John Doe<br>
123 Anywhere St.<br>
Jane Doe<br>
1234 Some Other St.<br>
</b>
Notice how the "item returned..." line is outputted with the first item returned? That's what
I'd like to do.
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502930

I have a requirement to design a JSP forms-based application that uses at least 700 data fields.
How can I design my application for something like this?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502927

I would like to deploy the compiled jsp files rather then the jsp source.  Can I precompile
them and put them in a WAR file?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502149

I want to create a dynamic tree menu from JSP to help with navigation. Is there any open source
code out there to help me get started with this?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502148

Can my JSP pages be "transctive" and initiate a transaction or is this possible only with
EJBs?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502147

How can I have my JSP page generate XML content after obtaining the data from JavaBeans?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=502146

++ Servlets FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Servlets

How do I write a tunneling HTTP proxy in Java?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=506464

How do I load a properties file from WEB-INF/classes?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=506416

If the user uploads a file with the same name as a previously uploaded one, how to overcome
the overwriting of the first file?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=504842

How can I send a POST request from a Servlet or JSP?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=504839

Do objects stored in a HTTP Session need to be serializable? Or can it store any object?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=504834

++ Tomcat FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Tomcat

How do I write a tunneling HTTP proxy in Java?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=506464

How do I load a properties file from WEB-INF/classes?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=506416

I need to be able to set a system property (i.e. -Dxxx=yyy). How can I accomplish this in
Tomcat 4.0?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=506411

How do I restrict access from servlets to certain directories?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=505626

How do you set tomcat to accept connections from only one specific IP adress?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=505624