tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat RPM polls
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:14:51 GMT

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:48:51 +0200
> From: GOMEZ Henri <hgomez@slib.fr>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org, tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat RPM polls
>
> Hi to all,
>
> I'd like to have the opinion of Tomcat RPMS users
> about some points since I'm working on enhanced RPMs :
>
> 1) Do you want tomcat to be changed to run as nobody instead
>    of root ?

+1

> 2) Do you want tomcat to be enabled by default, ie having
>    it active after installation ?

Can't you set things up for the installer to ask the user this?  It would
be nice to make this easy, but enabling by default is a security risk.

> 3) Do you want the config stuff to be moved from /var/tomcat/conf
>    to :
>
>    /etc/tomcat/conf (mimic Apache httpd server conf)
>    /etc/tomcat/

Does the RPM packaging support the ability (courtesy of catalina.base) to
store static stuff one place, and have multiple installations of the
dynamic stuff?

> 4) Do you want the webapp stuff moved to /var/www/webapps ?

Would /var/tomcat/webapps be more consistent?  Someone unfamiliar with
things would not necessarily tie "www" to Tomcat.

> 5) Do you want the log stuff moved to /var/log/tomcat ?

Makes sense.

> Thanks for your replies
>

> -
> Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
> EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)
> PGP KEY : 697ECEDD    ...oOOo..(_)..oOOo...
> PGP Fingerprint : 9DF8 1EA8 ED53 2F39 DC9B 904A 364F 80E6

Craig