tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mail...@one2team.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat is enabled by default after an rpm
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:54:49 GMT

Le 2001.09.14 10:21, GOMEZ Henri a écrit :
> Another one related to rpm :)

That's my day, sorry. Been thinking about reporting this for
some time:)

> What the problem having tomcat enable after
> a rpm install ?

Bad for security ie you might do a batch install of a lot of
rpms and want to configure tomcat later.
If it is enabled by default it might be up before you've had
time to look at it's config.

> That's exactly the same thing when you install
> Apache on sendmail !!!

Sendmail yes, apache no.

Redhat draw a lot of criticism for enabling every service by
default, so now security-concious distributions (modern RH,
Mandrake...) only enable essencial services at install time.
So now you have to explicitly request enabling of new
services (via setup) after a rpm install, till then they
won't be activated.

(btw on my systems I have to perform some manual operations
before starting tomcat, so I'd prefer not having him poping
up automatically after every rpm -Uvh as well)

--
Nicolas Mailhot