tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tomcat 4.0-beta-7 Released
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:59:29 GMT

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Aaron Knauf wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:38:14 +1200
> From: Aaron Knauf <AaronK@geniesystems.com>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tomcat 4.0-beta-7 Released
>
> I am submitting a bug report here, as jakarta.apache.org is reporting
> "connection refused".
>
> A bug in Tomcat 4.0-beta-7:
>
> DTD URL for the webapp 2.3 dtd is now incorrect.
> "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd"  is a file containing the
> following message:
> ---------------
> The file named http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd
> has been renamed to http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd
> in the most current version of the specification.
> Please update your application to use the new name.
> ---------------
>

> One more note:  Now that the XML parser used to parse the web.xml and tld
> files is (correctly) strict about element order, it would be handy if the
> filename were displayed along with the parser error messages.  (So I can
> find all the error in my incorrectly ordered deployment descriptors and
> tld files!)

This has been fixed in Tomcat 4.0-rc1 -- all references are to the new
URIs.

You should note, however, that Tomcat includes a copy of the DTDs locally,
and uses those copies (matched on the public identifier) rather than going
across the network, as long as you use a validating parser that does this
right (i.e. JAXP/1.1 or Xerces).

> Cheers

> Aaron Knauf

Craig