tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Attila Szegedi" <szege...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Digest authentication in Tomcat?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:29:30 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: 2001. szeptember 7. 18:13
Subject: Re: Digest authentication in Tomcat?

> Tomcat 4.0 already supports DIGEST, but only if the realm can return clear
> text passwords. Designing a cheme to store the limited digest in the
> realmshould be possible, but should be postponed until 4.1.

My implementation works with the situation where server only knows
H(username ":" realm ":" password)

> Also, IE supports DIGEST.

My IE 5.5 fails with DIGEST. I've checked by an experimental installation of
Apache 1.3.7. IE 5.5, NN 6 and NN 4.72 failed to process the authentication
request (NN 4.72 returned Basic authentication :-)) Opera succeeded cleanly.

Attila.