tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Classloader weirdities
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:29:13 GMT
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on the JBoss plugin for Catalina, and everything is going
> well except for classloading. For some very obscure reason I can't get
> Catalina to pick up new classes. What the plugin does is to delegate to
> the EmbeddedManager MBean (which internally delegates to Embedded) on
> deploy. If the app has already been deployed it is first undeployed.
> But, the new classes just aren't picked up. For some strange reason it
> is using the last set of classes. What is going on!?! I'm using
> Tomcat4b7, since the latest Tomcat4b8 src'es doesn't seem to be working
> it all (not for me anyway).

What is not working with the latest sources ?

The message is quite vague, could I get more details ?

> Any ideas? Could this possible be related to this thread that I found in
> the archives:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg11114.html

When reloading a context, the old classloader is dumped, and a new one is
created. Catalina doesn't internally keep any references on objects
instantiated by the old CL, but it's up to you to do the same.

At the time this message was posted we had some problems with references
which survived a reload (through the servlet context, mainly). Your problems
should be unrelated.

Remy