tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Loïc Lefèvre <llefe...@fivia.com>
Subject RE: Sources in Binary Distributions
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:19:24 GMT
Fabien Le Floc'h wrote:

> As a tomcat user, I am not so enthousiast about your idea of removing the
sources from the binaries.

> Almost every user download only the binaries. Having the sources inside
means bringing more developers to the Tomcat project, just because it will
be easier to take a look at the sources (since it is already installed in
their tomcat dir). The more you look at the sources, the more you are likely
to be involved.

> The sources are only about 2MB and 1 directory. It is anything but a mess
on the harddisk. Furthermore it is the exact sources for the particular
binary the user has, not some more recent or older sources.

In my mind, there is one argument to let the source code in the binaries:

     "To enhance myself tomcat when nothing else can help you."

I (and I'm NOT alone) have encountered many problems using Tomcat and
thus there are good answers to good faqs, I had to resolve some problems...
(and I've got some not resolved...) and without the sources I would not
have choose Tomcat...
Consider I'm a developper responsible of the migration from Apache JServ
to Tomcat, there are 9 other people who will hear about tomcat... so now
Imagine:

me  -> 9
10  -> 90
100 -> 900!!!