tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc Saegesser" <marc.saeges...@apropos.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Sources in Binary Distributions
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 13:47:25 GMT
[ ] - +1 Remove the sources [I will help in the process, meaning do the job]
[ ] - +0 Remove the sources [I can't help, won't help]
[X] - -0 Leave the sources [But since I don't volunteer this is not binding]
[ ] - -1 Are you nuts? Sources are there and there have to remain.

Comments: (required for -1)

I really don't see the harm in having the sources in the binary download.
They really aren't *that* big.  I can also see some real benefits to having
the source available, especially for nightly builds.  The source included in
the binary download is *exactly* the code that was used to build the
release.  Nightly builds are only archived for about a week and they aren't
tagged in CVS.  To recreate the source for a given nightly build after its
been removed from the archive would require checking out the respository for
the appropriate date.  How many people who aren't doing active development
have CVS installed and know how to use it?

That argument may not be all that compelling, but then I don't see the other
side being very compelling either.  As general rule, more information is
better than less information.

Marc Saegesser