tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From GOMEZ Henri <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Sources in Binary Distributions
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:45:42 GMT

>Jean-frederic wrote :
>
>Well, if in 10 years I have to do some maintenance at a
>customer it would be
>nice to have the sources with the running system. But I am not
>sure that a
>customer will also have the source of his applications...

That's all the power of packaging method like RPM,
separating products (exec, requisite and installation)
and how to build it ;)

FYI, the source are never included in binary RPMS and
I never install them in my RPMs (jakarta, xml, httpd).
The Source RPM (.SRPM) contains the released source(s),
patches if needed, and init&config files. And of course
show how to build the binary package :)