tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Problem (or is it?) building new TC4 beta
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:03:57 GMT

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:
>
> > Actually, I would love to get a build script for Win98, since I do alot
> > of testing on it.
>
> You mean a build script for Tomcat?  Isn't that what build.xml is?  :-)

Yeah, but I've never tried building ANYTHING on Win98, let alone Tomcat.
It would be nice to see someone's (with more of a Win-clue than me)
personal script, so that I can have a reference sheet when I run into
more OS goofiness.

> More seriously, platform independence of build.xml files is one of the
> very appealing features of Ant.  It means we don't need "build.bat" and
> "build.xml" files any more.

So having a build.xml file is a very appealing feature ... because we
don't need a build.xml file anymore? ;-)

It's definitely a very nice solution. Unfortunately, it isn't quiiiiite
a platform-indepent solution just yet. It _would_ be if Winblows 98/NT
had a decent networking filesystem architecture, like NFS, rather than
the moronic "drive letter" approach. Then Amy's solution would be
airtight. Oh well, at least we can blame Ant and/or M$ =)

- Christopher