tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Speed <psp...@progeeks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sources in Binary Distributions
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 21:28:15 GMT

Christopher Cain wrote:

> Paul Speed wrote:
> >
> > I personally don't understand what the big deal is.  Some people
> > want a binary only distribution, some want a binary+source
> > distribution.  Why not provide both?  (Easy for me to say as a
> > lurker.)
>
> ... and some of us want only source, and we'll build the binaries
> ourself ;-)
>
> > For what it's worth, I would only download the bin+src distro, ie:
> > the same one that's misnamed now.
>
> I'm not arguing anything with you here, I'm just genuinely curious. Why
> do you prefer to have the binaries with your source? Is it because you
> don't want to hassle with the build process? Again, I'm not making fun
> or arguing, I'm legitimately curious. Actually, if Tomcat wanted to be a
> trend-setter (as I don't know of any other project that does it,
> although that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't out there), I
> wouldn't have any objections with the three options: Binary only, Source
> only, Binary+Source. Of course, I'm not the one who would have to do all
> of the releases, including milestones, betas, and finals (not yet,
> anyway ;-), so that's easy for me to say ... but I wouldn't have a
> conceptual argument against it. Choices are good!

I download the binaries because I don't want to have to mess with
building unless I absolutely have to.  Despite the problems we hear,
tomcat is pretty easy to get setup right out of the box.

However, during normal development I often work on a lot of <ahem>
bleeding edge tag libraries, etc..  When I have problems, it's nice
to be able to go looking through the source to see whose fault it
is or just for more information about what is expected of my code.

As another example, I've never tried to compile the JDK .java sources,
but I always have at least a few of the files loaded into my editor at
any given time.

-Paul Speed