tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sources in Binary Distributions
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 21:08:36 GMT

Paul Speed wrote:

> I personally don't understand what the big deal is.  Some people
> want a binary only distribution, some want a binary+source
> distribution.  Why not provide both?  (Easy for me to say as a
> lurker.)

... and some of us want only source, and we'll build the binaries
ourself ;-)

> For what it's worth, I would only download the bin+src distro, ie:
> the same one that's misnamed now.

I'm not arguing anything with you here, I'm just genuinely curious. Why
do you prefer to have the binaries with your source? Is it because you
don't want to hassle with the build process? Again, I'm not making fun
or arguing, I'm legitimately curious. Actually, if Tomcat wanted to be a
trend-setter (as I don't know of any other project that does it,
although that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't out there), I
wouldn't have any objections with the three options: Binary only, Source
only, Binary+Source. Of course, I'm not the one who would have to do all
of the releases, including milestones, betas, and finals (not yet,
anyway ;-), so that's easy for me to say ... but I wouldn't have a
conceptual argument against it. Choices are good!

- Christopher