tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sources in Binary Distributions (not a vote, just a question)
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 20:45:58 GMT

"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> If you're not mentioned here... Pointless to vote...

+1 (non-binding)

... just to spite you :-P

(actually, since a +1 means I volunteer to do it, even though I don't
have access to the server I'd be more than happy to crack it and delete
the appropriate tree ;-)

> duncan jon stefano pier costin rubys akv jhunter preston shemnon shachor
> bergsten gonzo mode harishp arun craigmcc jluc nacho ariedel horwat remm ed
> alex gaburici jiricka pierred glenn larryi arieh hgomez marcsaeg danmil shai
> keith kief melaquias amyroh mbraden clucas bip seguin jfclere mmanders andya

Just out of idle curiousity, who are half these people? Okay, not really
half, but I don't recognize alot of them. Are some of these people just
general Apache/Jakarta bigwigs who get a vote on all subprojects, or are
more of them one-time committers who have just moved on?

Also, I agree with you, Pier, on the installer business. I realized that
by replying specifically to Remy's post that it might sound like I had a
problem with separate installers/custom distros (sorry about that Remy
;-). I agree that people should be able to package it up however they
like, and I was only arguing for their removal from the primary bin
tarballs and, by extension, the build process. That way there is at
least ONE way for people to easily grab a bin-only ball. People who run
custom installers (whether Remy's Windoze installer or Henri's RPMs),
OTOH, might very well expect to get the source to be there, and I
certainly think people should have the freedom to build custom
distributions however they like. That's a good catch, Pier, since the
binary balls (hehe) are the only thing the vote applies to.

- Christopher