tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitri Colebatch <d...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Sources in Binary Distributions
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 02:59:06 GMT
I'd like to second that.  I am currently not involved in any active
development, but looking at sources contained in a binary dist is
certainly the first step towards getting involved (its on my list (o:  )

cheers
dim

Fabien Le Floc'h wrote:

> As a tomcat user, I am not so enthousiast about your idea of removing the sources from
the binaries.

> Almost every user download only the binaries. Having the sources inside means bringing
more developers to the Tomcat project, just because it will be easier to take a look at the
sources (since it is already installed in their tomcat dir). The more you look at the sources,
the more you are likely to be involved.

> The sources are only about 2MB and 1 directory. It is anything but a mess on the harddisk.
Furthermore it is the exact sources for the particular binary the user has, not some more
recent or older sources.