tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TC4 base dir
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:16:28 GMT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Rob S. wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 9:46:24 PDT
> From: Rob S. <rslifka@sfu.ca>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: TC4 base dir
>
> > There is no current means to point at a "server.xml" file that is not
> > under "$CATALINA_HOME/conf", but that has nothing to do with where log
> > files go (except by default) -- in your <Logger> elements, just add a
> > "directory" attribute.	The default value is "logs" (relative paths are
> > resolved against $CATALINA_HOME), but you can use an relative or absolute
> > path to a directory that you would like.
>
> That's cool about the server.xml file, and you can do the individual
> elements, as you said (logger, default valve's logger for access,
> etc.) but what I'm wondering about is if there's anything analogous to
> changing the entire base dir (not just apps, but entire thing a la
> 3.x) ?

The entire base directory is wherever the CATALINA_HOME environment
variable says it is, if you have that defined already.  I have my
CATALINA_HOME always set, so that I can have little scripts like
"catstart" to start it on demand from whatever directory I'm in:

  $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start $@

> - r

Craig