tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Garrett <ljag...@thinkpig.org>
Subject ContextEjb & related deploy classes
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:52:46 GMT
Forgive me if this is the wrong list to post to, but since it's a
source related question (as opposed to a use question) I thought this
list would be appropriate for my question.

I'm reading through the source code and trying to understand the
whole startup process -- how org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
gets everything up and running. Unfortunately, I'm at loggerheads on
one particular point. When the default server.xml file is parsed and
the "examples" context is created, there are some sample tags like
<Environment/> <Resource/> <Parameter/> and <Ejb/>. I realise that

these tags correspond to classes in the org.apache.catalina.deploy
package and that the classes are added to the StandardContext and
accessed through various find methods.

Reading through the servlet spec (2.3pfd) it seems to me the purpose
of these tags is to clue the web app as to what J2EE resources it has
available. For example, the <ejb-ref/> tag provides the web app with
the name (among other things) of an EJB so it can get a naming
context and look up the EJB. Is this right?

Here's where I'm lost. I can't find any methods in
javax.servlet.ServletContext that would provide access to the
ContextEjbs (or any of the other deploy classes). In other words,
StandardContext has the findEjb(String) method, but I don't see how
javax.servlet.ServletContext or
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext is able to access these
deploy elements.

Or have I completely misunderstood the purpose of the <Environment/>
<Resource/> <Parameter/> and <Ejb/> tags? In any respect, I'd greatly
appreciate a good dollop of enlightenment.

Thanks,
	Alex