tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From g...@stinky.com (Alex Chaffee)
Subject [FAQ] jGuru FAQ Update
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2001 00:24:08 GMT
jGuru maintains FAQs and Forums on Servlets, JSP, and Tomcat (as well as
many other Java topics).  Here is an automated update on recent postings to
Tomcat-related FAQs.  Please direct flames and feedback to alex@jguru.com .

 - Alex

need it? get it. tools, code and tutorials for open-standards based development.

Stay informed with dW's weekly email newsletter
http://www.jguru.com/misc/register_devworks.jsp?src=notify

Hi.  You asked to be notified weekly when certain jGuru.com items get new entries.

You can shut email notification off at the FAQ home
page(s) or:

  http://www.jguru.com/guru/notifyprefs.jsp

++ JavaServer Pages (JSP) FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JSP

My app is in Japanese, and I'm running Tomcat 3.2 and JDK 1.3.1.  I am including a header
directive.  At the top of the main page, I first specify the JSP page directive (to set this
JSP translation's content type and character set), then include the header file.

&lt;%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=shift_jis"%&gt;
&lt;%@ include file="header.jsp" %&gt;

The content from the main file renders correctly in the browser as shift-jis characters, but
the content in the header is the kind of "?z?[???R???" junk that anyone who has wrestled with
non-Latin1 is most likely familiar with. (Cultural sidenote- the Japanese call that "moji-bake"
or "letter ghost").<p>

Anyway, since you can only specify the contentType property once per page translation (Tomcat
throws an error if you try), how can I tell Tomcat that my included page is in shift_jis too?<p>

I found a Sun document in which the following was written:<p>
<i>The page directive applies to an entire JSP file and any static files it includes
which together are called a translation unit.</i><p>

So, is this a Tomcat bug?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=468049

>From what I know, I should put the path of properties file
in the Classpath. While I am developing a web application, I want to host multiple sites in
one machine. So how can I use two different properties file? If I specify them in the Classpath,
then the first one will be used according to order of the Classpath since both properties
files have the same filename.
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=466998

I have an application which use a shared library libjchli.so, I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to
the right dirctory and it works fine. When I tried to convert it to JSP, I got an error message:
libjchli.so is not loaded. Where should the library file be located?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=465753

We have a large JSP from which users are taken to diffent screens and based on the values
entered there , the fields in this main jsp are updated.
Now, we are reloading the entire jsp each time whenever the control comes back.
Instead of this is it possible to reload just that part of the jsp which has changed and read
other parts from the cache?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=463941

What procedure must be followed to read and write encrypted cookies to the browser. What's
the role of encoding in this ?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=463936