tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason_Henrik...@providian.com
Subject Project blocking problem
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:04:41 GMT

Hi All,

I've just come to a problem using tomcat that is completely blocking my
development.  I have a JSP in this directory:
     \jsp\VarDep2\BR-brand-card\BR-smartcard-CardB\cardBenefits.jsp

My HTML developers are using Windows machines.  When I generate the .class
file from compiling the JSP I get this:

D:\jasondev\Jakarta\tomcat322\     work\localhost_8080%2Fbap\jsp\VarDep_00032\BR_0002dbrand_0002dcard\
BR_0002dsmartcard_0002dCardB\_0002fjsp_0002fVarDep_00032_0002fBR_0002dbrand_0002dcard_0002fBR_0002dsmartcard_0002dCardB_0002fcardBenefits_0002ejspcardBenefits_jsp_0.class

Which appears to be breaking the 256 character file name limit under windows.  The directory
structure is very important in my design, and
cannot be changed without destroying the value of my software.  Plus, since we're going to
production in Solaris, it's only an issue for the
Windows people.  I need this fixed in order to support them, so I'm going to try and open
up Tomcat to fix it my self.

I'm hoping that some of you can provide a list of places that I'll need to change things.
 I understand that this is no small undertaking,
but putting the whole directory structure into the name can't be that great a thing to do
anyway.  (Anybody know why it's being done this
way?)

I really need all the help I can get.  Any suggestions (Even suggestions of a good shrink)
are appreciated.

                              Jason

ps:  Sorry about this warning message, I cannot prevent it from being appended:

Warning : The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and
protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to this message and then delete it from your computer. All e-mail
sent to this address will be received by the Providian Financial corporate e-mail system and
is subject to archiving and review by someone other than the recipient.