tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0 build.xml tomcat.nsi
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:12:29 GMT
Remy Maucherat at remy@betaversion.org wrote:

> Guess what, I needed that too for the NT service ;-)

Boom :) We're game, so... All we need, then, is to extend load() up to the
connectors so that under UNIX we can bind to ports < 1024 (as load() is
called as root :)

> So I did it. It's BootstrapService and CatalinaService. They don't expose a
> damn shutdown socket, and they don't shutdown asychronously.

Friggin' great... First time someone commits some code I need without me
asking for it :)

> Of course, since the time needed to shutdown TC 4 is waaaaaaaaaaay too long,
> NT still ends up killing TC before the end of the shutdown, but at least it's
> a step in the right direction.

I believe (but I'm not sure) that under Win32 you can actually tell to the
Service loader to hold for a longer time... I have to check...

>> Can we shoot for a B7 after all those changes are in?
>
> I think we can.

Whoho! Let's make a B6 with the connector and a B7 with the ability to bind
to port 80 without running as root, then....

(I'll request a vote after B6 is gone!)

    Pier