tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@stinky.com>
Subject Re: [DOC] TOC - thoughts
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:58:58 GMT
Christopher Cain wrote:

> "Rob S." wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>First off, I think we should have an ultra-quick install guide.  If you're
>>like a lot of geeks, you know your stuff.  You need to know a quick few
>>steps, a quick 2-3 gotchas, and BAM that's it.  I want to make sure the
>>quick-and-dirty "impatient" install is available to the people who can take
>>advantage of it; admins experienced with other containers, trying Tomcat for
>>the first time perhaps.
>>

> +1
>

>>PI.2.1:  I love pictures!  Some nice diagrams in here would go a lllong way.
>>Not sure about the "choose OS" or "install Java" sections.  I mean, there's
>>catering to the LCD and there's catering to the LCD...
>>

> I haven't yet had a chance to look over the TOC (planning on doing it
> tonight), but one of the docs I have lying around is a step-by-step on
> installing java on Linux *specifically* in preparation for a Tomcat
> build/install. Granted, the README file hits the important stuff, like
> what needs to be in the CLASSPATH, etc. I was actually thinking of
> morphing it into a more general (and quick) guide to preping your OS for
> a Tomcat build/install (I have some Windoze notes lying around as well).
> I could very quickly touch on Java installation, including a few
> Linux-specific tips above and beyond the rather obvious actual install,
> cover the environment varibles that need to be defined for a build,
> reiterate the "jakarta" directory structure that needs to be in place,
> etc. Basically, everything up to the point of the actual build.

That would be great, and that's pretty much what the TOC outlines (though
not in that detail). The problem with having OS-specific quick-and-dirty
install guides is that if one aspect changes, the separate guides get out of
sync. I'd suggest you clearly divide the following three parts:

- Pre-install
- Standalone install
- Integrating with Web server

Since that's the structure I'm using in the major parts of the Install Guide
of the TOC.

> Well, my thoughts on the aforementioned doc I was planning are to
> provide a list of the available JDKs for each platform, what else one
> needs to download for certain optional functionality (SSL, etc.), where
> to get each of them, and any relevant comments on software selection.
> Mainly just the huge stuff, like the infamous "Sun 1.3.1 JDK for Linux
> completely broken under the new gcc threading libraries." (That one
> really pissed me off.) This might fall under the category of "too much
> information" as Rob is stating, but my feeling is that it is easy enough
> to skip over entire sections (assuming they're laid out logically) in a
> "Preping your OS for Tomcat" doc, and those users who are planning on
> building out a new box (or reformatting an existing box) specifically
> for a web server will appreciate such heads-up info. Getting Tomcat up
> and running on a barebones OS install is pretty rare for us developers,
> but it happens quite frequently in the corporate world. The bigger the
> master Tomcat documentation library, from the essentials to the
> sublimely tangential steps along the way, the more comfortable
> corporations will feel about choosing Tomcat over a proprietary
> solution. As long as someone is willing to write such things, which in
> this case I am, why not just throw it in the mix for the few people who
> might benefit from it? Of course, I completely agree that there also
> needs to be some short-and-sweet versions of how to do install-type
> things, so maybe an abbreviated version of my Preping doc would also be
> in order.

I like it.  Please see how it would fit in with the proposed pre-install /
standalone install chapters.