tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@stinky.com>
Subject Re: hello everyone (regarding documentation)
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:11:31 GMT
GOMEZ Henri wrote:

>>Pier:
>>A nice way to duplicate the job, indeed... Why not joining
>>Alex et. al and
>>

> Each contribution is good to have. If he feel more confortable
> using docbook, why not let him start some docs with it.
>

>>write the documentation with them? Just because you want to do it with
>>the DocBook DTD? A ridiculous excuse, as with a very simple XSLT
>>stylesheet you can convert the Anakia DTD in DocBook with no fuzz...
>>

> If an XSLT exist for converting Anakia to DocBook, it should be possible
> to do the reverse. Could you provide us, Pier, the XLST file to convert
> from Anakia to DocBook ?

Docbook is a *huge* file format. I've heard it described as "SGML in XML."
There are probably features in DocBook that would be very difficult to
automatically port back to XHTML.

> BTW, I didn't recall there was a vote on the list to decide if we should
> use DocBook or Anakia to produce documentation ?

Not yet. Another reason why nobody should jump the gun with a complicated
format that might end up having to be ported to XHTML.

My advice for potential authors is to use text or very simple HTML (<h1>,
format
once we do decide. Also it'll mean you don't waste time making it pretty,
and focus on the text itself.